Never again clutter your days or nights with so many menial and unimportant things that you have no time to accept a real challenge when it comes along. This applies to play as well as work. A day merely survived is no cause for celebration. You are not here to fritter away your precious hours when you have the ability to accomplish so much by making a slight change in your routine. No more busywork. No more hiding from success. Leave time, leave space, to grow. Now. Now! Not tomorrow!
~ Og Mandino, Author and Motivational Speaker
- Unclutter Your Life
- Tools and Apps to Help Unclutter Your Life
- 4 Ways to Unclutter Your Life
Unclutter Your Life
We all have 24 hours in a day. Uncluttering your life doesn't only mean the mess on my desk but also the mess in my mind. Three areas where I found clutter:
- Physically - my weight, writing, office, and car
- Mentally - focused thought and personal development
- Spiritually - prayer and meditation
I recommend Tim Ferriss' The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich, which helped me figure out just how to unclutter my life and get the most out of 24 hours.
Og Mandino said it best, "We need to make room for when life throws us a real challenge." You never know what life will bring and having an uncluttered life could help. I used to think I had to do everything. I used to waste time just figuring out what I had to do and when I had to do it by. I found a few tools to help along the way.
Tools and Apps to Help Unclutter Your Life
- Calendar - I still use an old school calendar for tracking what I need to do. I use electronic calendar primarily for reminders. I work on my schedule at the end of each month.
- Evernote - Some apps are hard to imagine working without. Evernote is one of those for me. It’s my digital diary, note taker, research depository, and so much more. It’s allowed me to jot down ideas, track websites, work on my podcast show notes, and taking notes in meetings or conferences.
- Dropbox - Dropbox is another of those apps I won't work without. I got tire of losing jump drives or not synchronizing the information between computers. Dropbox saved my presentation in Thailand because I was able to log on and download it.
- Keynote - I use Keynote for all my presentations (especially for my dissertation), vision board, and organizing writing projects. It’s intuitive, very functional, and fun to use.
- Scrivener (Mac) (Windows) - I use Scrivener for all my novel, screen, and dissertation writing. It allows me to turn outlines into books with index card view. There are templates for all types of project formats.
4 Ways to Unclutter Your Life
- Keep workspace clean
- Meditation and Prayer
- Schedule a specific time to checking email, regular mail and social media.
- Make time to play
Ferriss, T. (2011). The 4-hour workweek: Escape 9-5, live anywhere, and join the new rich.
Help Other People Everywhere
Less than 30 days to help keep the St. Martin De Porres House of Hope going into the future.
My goal is to sell 10,000 boxes of coffee in January to help raise most of if not all the $40,000 needed to keep their doors open. Buy 3 or 4 boxes at WantMyCoffee.com. 80% of all profits will be donated to the St. Martin De Porres House of Hope.