Uncluttering My Life: TCC Episode 42
- Uncluttering My Own Life
- Seeing the Forest from the Trees
- Letting Go
- 4 Ways I'm Uncluttering
Uncluttering My Own Life
I have to be flat out honest. My office became a closet. I was spread myself thin with my coffee business, dissertation, podcast, and still itching to write that novel or screenplay. I wasn't doing good service for anyone, including myself.
My son, David, was really trying to help me get uncluttered. Even told me how and what to Read/Listen to. He recommended that I listen to or read Unstuff Your Life: Kick the Clutter Habit and Completely Organize Your Life for Good by Andrew J. Mellen.
Seeing the Forest from the Trees
I'm a kinesthetic learner, which means I need someone to show me what you're talking/writing about. I was at wits end until I sought professional help. I got that help from Cathy of Elite Personal Assistants in the Chicago Area. She helped me create my zones based on what I do, which include my coffee business, dissertation and research, podcast and blogging, and creative writing. I had to learn to let go of stuff.
I had to get tough on myself and realize it's just stuff. Mellen (2010) suggested that in order to move forward you have to let go of those things that are holding you back. I had to let go of my attachment to things. I have thing I cherish like my lighthouses, Bilbo Baggins' sword Sting from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, dream catchers, and Albert Einstein. The rest is clutter.
4 Ways I'm Uncluttering
What I am doing to Unclutter:
- Ask yourself: what do I do in this office and what do I need
- Define the sections in the room
- Coffee Business - My financial support. Will be stored in repurposed closet
- Dissertation and studies - Graduate by July 2015. Will be in bookshelves on one wall
- Podcasting and Blogging - Passion. Will be shelving by desk and computer
- Novel and Screenwriting - Passion. Will be in bookshelves on another wall
- Everything has a place
- Put like with like
What I've done so far!
Mellen, A. (2010). Unstuff your life!: Kick the clutter habit and completely organize your life for good. New York: Avery.